03.04.2007 | what’s on
by Muzeum Architektury we Wroclawiu
Museum of Architecture in Wroclaw
The architecture of the Weimar Republic period in Legnica, one of the most important towns in the Lower Silesia is still hardly known to historians. A lot of research was done on the architecture of nearby but much larger Wrocław with its works by Hans Poelzig, Max Berg or Erich Mendelsohn. The more traditional architecture of Legnica took longer to raise interest, especially as lots of buildings from that period are situated in the districts which until 1993 were the seat of the Soviet Army and thus virtually inaccessible. The main idea of the exhibition is to attract more attention to the artistic values of the modern architecture of the town and to the pressing need to protect it.
The exhibition shows examples of modern apartment houses, housing projects, office buildings and schools, as well as the new railway station built in 1927. It also reminds of the famous GUGALI exhibition (Deutsche Gartenbau- und Schlesische Gewerbe-Ausstellung) for which model family houses were designed by Hans Scharoun and Moritz Hadda among others.
The catalogue accompanying the exhibition contains an essay by Beate Störtkuhl on the architecture of the Weimar Republic period in Legnica, the catalogue of buildings, and photos by Czesław Pietraszko. Published by the Museum of Architecture in Wrocław. 106 pages, 109 illustrations, available in Polish.